theAssault Cycle

THE ASSAULT CYCLE

There are 5 events in any combat / violent situation and they always follow the same order.

How much time spent in any one phase depends on circumstances and how you will cope with it.

Triggering Event / TE
Prior to a fight "something" will alert you.

It could be a gradual buildup or it could be instantaneous

For example; a gathering of teens where loud shouts increase then 3 or 4 teens start to grab and push each other, then 1 teen starts punching someone else in the face and then everyone is fighting.

The Instant TE could also be someone totally surprising you from behind as you get into your car or enter your apt / home.

Escalation / E
Like TE can gradually build up or else occur instantly.

You’re sitting in a restaurant and two scruffy men next table over are angrily talking.

You look over at them and one stares at you,

"Mind your own damn business!!" one man shouts at you.

The Instant Escalation from this could be that one man grabs his coffee and flings it at you or stands up and steps in your direction fumbling in his pockets.

In E changes start to occur within your Mind and Body;

Your heart rate goes up, Your respiration / breathe rate goes up.

You start to Focus on the threat aka- "Tunnel Vision", You get sweaty and nervous, You get angry or scared.

"Fight or Flight".

Crisis / C
The actual fight itself.

It can be a simple bar fight, school yard fight or else an extreme fight for your life.

You Must train realistically as possible for a Crisis. Wear work clothes, train in an environment similar to work and home surroundings. Train in and around your car, with other people as Companions.

Remember that your body switches from FMS / Fine Motor Skills to GMS / Gross Motor Skills.

Any fancy fighting techniques you attempt are ineffective due to Adrenaline, Fear and Survival Instincts.

Recovery / R
This is when the immediate Threat is over.

You must then "Pull yourself together".

Look around you at loved ones, friends and treat the injured.

Summon aid or go get help. Move to a safer area.

Don’t forget that once the fight is over there’s still work to be done.

Post Crisis / PC
Now you are completely out of danger.

You can recover and reflect on what happened. What you did.

The sounds, the smells, the tastes, how things felt.

This is when Physical or Mental fatigue sets in.

Your Body and Mind want to return to normal. Your Breathing and Heart rate should be down once again.

Your emotions range from: Euphoria
(from having just survived, from seeing another person injured or killed,
being glad it wasn’t you or your loved ones)
to Severe Depression
(guilt for hurting or killing another person, sadness and anger for feeling ugly emotions).

After a Violent Crisis you need to talk to someone you know and trust like:
your Pastor, a best friend, a family member. Or you can talk to a professional.

Relieve your emotional pressure in a healthy "normal" way and get back to being normal once again
------------------------

theSam!! had read this lesson in a magazine article, 'Defensive Tactics' by Sgt Jim Wagner. I hope I got his name right. I know I got the five steps but would need further clarification upon His examples that he listed.

It had a nice pie chart that went with the article. I can't recall how it was shown and I don't know how to post stuff like that here on Blogger.

Even from theVPSO academy classes we did receive some great lessons in Police Sciences that could be used later on in life. I'm glad I kept my workbooks, binders and notes. And thank god I kept my field notes from the time I worked in theVillage.
Notes back up what I say and did.

Lately, I've been looking through my old VPSO notes and preparing to post more stuff online from those Good ol' days.

Just keep in mind that what I type here is material "Based on Real events".
Even this morning (Wed 11 Oct 2006) I was up before 5 scribbling notes in a small writing pad and tweaking other notes around.

I hit theAK club daily and have dropped 10lbs already from theTreadmill worx.
I jog at 4mph and do a steady rhythm, and occasionally shadow box / elbow strike in rhyme to my stride. I'm there for my health and I'm having fun at the same time.

yesterday when I finished working out upstairs, I moved downstairs and into the large Cardio room that was just vacated by the Group Fitness class.

Sweat, spandex, rubber, perfume still hung in the air as I quietly, slowly shadow boxed and observed my self in the mirror. The whole room is lined with mirrors.

Hard to believe that even though I feel so old and mature, I'm still quite young.
I'm in shape and I don't look bad. I just wish I had taken better care of my teeth, as the front ones now are starting to chip. I don't like to smile anymore.
I think I'll grow my hair out once again.

Right now, in my unemployment I am looking at starting something else in my life.

Oh yeah... I don't think any of you know.
For years now, I've applied to GuardianSecurity here in Anchorage.

Great company, good people.
When I moved here to Anchorage in early spring.
baNANA purcel hired me and I worked with them one month before GS called me and interviewed me.

Then for 4 months I had a great time Patrolling anchorage for GS.
But I had to disagree with policy and I got a Vendor upset with the company and rather than lose a Vendor it was convenient to lose a guard, namely me.

I stood guard at one local hotel and as theNight watch goes.
Stay close to Front desk, stay close to Lobby and be there for them.

Well. Us guards were able to use Lobby inet kiosks a few minutes at a time.
My 2nd night (that week) at this hotel watch, I was told that I couldn't go online.
Seems that another guard had abused Inet privileges and another guard spent his entire night watches AALL week online at that hotel.

So I watched and patrolled around as normal and included my opinions in the nightly report. I knew something would happen from my words, even that I might get fired.

I feel no shame in this.
I did what I did and stood up for me and other honest guards.
As each Post is different. You might sit around a lot at one place and watch tv banks.
At another post you might listen to music and talk more on the radio comms.

During my normal patrol shift I would drive around and if I got a few minutes ahead of schedule I would pull into a fast food joint and hit theDrive through.

Perhaps people could have complained because of That.
Perhaps people could have complained when ever I stopped my patrol and took time out to help any Inebriate & Transient that was incapacitated by alcohol. I'd call anchorage Community Service Patrol van and wait till those boys showed up.

Bottom line is, that I did my job and in some small way I looked after myself while doing it. I have no qualms with that and would not complain if I were a Boss and my emps did such things.

Yesterday I was walking around and I was impressed upon in thought.....
that what I had experienced in Village Public Safety was just the beginning.

No former friends and acquaintances in theTrooper ranks, no Police, in fact No One from my past stands by me now in my struggle. Though some people do watch from afar and do agree with me at times.

I don't need AST, I don't need theState or theCity to keep telling me that I matter in this world. I am still an Officer in heart, mind, being.

I've outgrown the people I once looked up to for employment, for Authority.
I don't view Troopers and Police as friends anymore.

The tools I carry and what's in my head from past teachings are all I have right now.
Something inside me says, to be an Instructor and build my own client lists.
Just like I did with my Hair and Massage practices long ago.

What ever you people do in your own lives.
Just listen close to that person inside you screaming to get out.
It's your creativity, it's that talent that lies beneath the surface.

Peace,
Happy October and Happy Halloween my pretties!!!

luvs,
theSam!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poop Moose Has Bottomed Out!!!

theSam!! vs YouTube!?

ELECTION DAY 2006