Go Seek Help!!

this Message is brought to you by theSam!!

Need terse Village words?, go read Sam!!
Potatos need flavor? add some Spam

If there's nails upon your toes
And your Glock nails your toes!!
Go Read Sam!!, Go Read Sam!!, Go READ SAM!!

Ignored by VillageChick!!!?, so is Sam!!
Except on Paydays, stick out theHand!!

He puts theIllage in theVillage!!
and Cuffs upon your Dad,
Go Read Sam!!, Go Read Sam!!, GO READ SAM!!

You step on Village toes? so does Sam!!
Jumping to conclusions? he does Grand!!

To make a deal, he'll kneel upon your head
till your Dog's ears are running red,
Go Read Sam!!, Go Read Sam!!, GO READ SAM!!

Eyes bleed from VillageTales?!, Go blame Sam!!
Anonomously post, "You Silly silly man!!"

He's theRedheaded Stepchild
with your kids running wild,
Go Seek Help!!, Go Seek Help!!, GO SEEK HELP!!
_____________

Hello everyone!!
It's theDayAfter St. Pattys Day up here in theCity and I"m just enjoying a day off from theSecurity!! work.

Since I'm working More now and can now afford Internet service,
I've decided to get ClearWire service.
I IM'd with an Church friend earlier today via Internet chat room
and she didn't know what the ClearWire service is?

So I told her.
Anyway, it's broadband in a small black box no bigger than two DVD cases together
and slightly bigger, and that Unit hooks into theTower or Laptop
via dsl connectors and power the unit from theWall,
and point it to theClosest antenae tower in theCity.

it works great for me, sure beats busing and walking to Library and downtown Inet provider sites.
_________
Following is from theAnchorageDailyNews.
I had read the article and even written a response to theADN a few paragraphs,
my responses in Italics are exclusive to this Blog and were not included to theADN.
_______
Troopers in need
Alaska tries to recruit, but not enough are answering the call
Published: March 13, 2007 Last Modified: March 13, 2007 at 01:18 AM

Alaska State Troopers are authorized about 380 positions, counting "blue shirts" (troopers) and "brown shirts" (fish and wildlife protection). As of Thursday morning, they were 47 short. The trooper academy has room for 30 recruits. Only 11 are enrolled for the latest class.

What's wrong?
• Troopers face recruiting competition from law enforcement agencies nationwide.

So Troopers should turn to theMen and Women that they have already trained!, VPSO's, VPO's and other local Regional & Village leaders that are in good standing and willing to do this Law Enforcement job and receive related job trainings and responsibility.

• In-state salary competition is tough. New Anchorage Police Department officers can make $5,000 to $10,000 a year more in total compensation than a starting trooper, says Trooper Maj. Matt Leveque.

I only speak for myself, but as a VPSO my starting salary of 32K was more than enough for me.
And subsequent pay raises and an bonus retroactive was generous as well, but for me $ is not theCarrot.
What is my Carrot, my incentive is the Facts of doing goodly work and of having immense responsibility out there in the Bush.
Personally, I grieve at this White European dominant society that leads this American country that thinks Everyone is motivated and satisfied by Money!
Money is nice to have, but is not my god.

• In-state location competition is tough. Starting troopers can expect to be assigned to the Bush, where amenities are lacking, where a degree of culture shock takes a toll, and where spouses and families may not fare well. Bush assignments are part of the adventure for some applicants, but others look at lower pay, schools that can't match Anchorage and reluctant spouses and decide the adventure won't work for them.

And theChaff is separated from theWheat by all this.
It is true that most AST certainly looked and felt out of place in theVillage and they couldn't wait to leave!!
This is where theState fails to see that a large number of potential recruits / employees are already in place!
Part of the problems in theVillage is that Outsiders don't understand the Culture, so why not keep some of theState Trooper jobs to a few trusted locals?
When I was a VPSO, an Bush assignment was heaven for me, I loved it.
And have forever and always turned my heart to Public Safety.
If your heart isn't set upon theWork ABOVE everything and everyone else in your life-this job isn't for you.

• Faced with the competition, the troopers have no intention of lowering their standards. Maj. Leveque says troopers want applicants who are "smart, motivated, educated, community-minded, service-oriented individuals ... self-sufficient, self-reliant, independent. ... It kind of requires a special breed of cat. Those sorts of people have lots of options out there."

State Troopers are certainly above all other instate Police agencies, in my humble opinion.
I proudly remind various LEO's that I meet here in Anchorage that I was VillagePublicSafety at one time and I'm still there in heart, mind and soul. (as they stare incredulously at my Body and wonder why THAT too isn't up to par)
I say that I know the work they do and I thank them for what they do.

I certainly owe the AST much for letting me be an VPSO.
But certainly my lack of a College degree and my long list of career titles and job hopping isn't any less important to thePublic Safety work than an AST recruit or Veteran with various degrees and only 1 or 2 employers all their life.

Certainly my upbringing taught me about Service and self Reliance, Independence.
The State overlooks me as an Recruit as well as overlooking other VPSO and VPO's that they have trained and depended upon in theVillages.

Having so many vacant positions means a bigger caseload for each trooper, slower response times and almost no time for the kind of preventive enforcement that pre-empts crime rather than reacts to it.

On more than one Ride-along occasion in 2001 when I first started this Public Safety endeavor, there was literally 3 AST on shift and hundreds of 911 calls each shift too.
Were I a criminal and did watch various Agencies to determine manpower and such, I doubt anyone would catch me!
During my time as VPSO I put a lot of $ toward learning how to fly, but my sudden departure from theVillage overnight prevented any further flights.
Point being that I was going to get a Private Pilots license and had even spoken to a couple of Flight capable AST and wanted to be Dual rated like them when time came for Me to be AST.
If I controlled some of that State $ for training, I would be sending more Troops and certain VPSO's & VPO's to flight school. Give them incentive and power to help out.
And I already have my Scuba basic card,
I sure hope that other people out there that are overlooked by AST are just as prepared and much more so than I.

What's to be done?

For starters, theSpate of discrimination and racism against good AST applicants.
Understand that problems within an organization are not found at the Lower levels, but are found at theTop, within Leadership and their old outdated mindset and their Good O'l Boy mentality networkings.
These "end of days" times on Earth are getting worse for everyone. But keep in mind that honest true service will be evident in the lives of the People being served.
theState needs to get tough on Drug problems and Assaults of every kind.
theState also needs to hold sanctions against Villages, Regions, non-Profit agencies that Don't comply with local and State laws.
It is possible to do these things.

• Higher pay. This won't be popular at a time when the administration is struggling with budget cuts, but it's clear troopers are at a disadvantage in pay, particularly when they're asking recruits to relocate themselves and families.

Have those AST Admin ninnies not ever heard of or even participated in Military deployments?
In this time of our Nations history and such with increased Military and Security activity.
Just treat such AST Bush assignments as Mini missions and rotate theAST out there and bring them back to civilization.
In theVillage where I was a VPSO, I left my Lodge room keys at AST HeadQuarters when ever I went away so that any AST traveling through theVillage could stay in my Lodge room.
Why not keep theAST and their families in theCity and just send out theTroops on deployment?
Hello?!
As for budget cuts, if certain programs and activities are needed, people will find a way to keep such programs alive. Abundant $ gets things done, as does Lack of $.

• Cooperative recruiting. It's possible that working together could benefit everyone. The recruit who might not quite fit the troopers could be referred to Fairbanks or Palmer, for example, and police could steer recruits looking for something different in law enforcement to the troopers.

And yet they aren't following their own advice here, or at least not yet.
Not looking at VPSO's and VPO's former and current, not looking at other trusted villagers within various Regions of theState to work for them.
It's all about Power and theState doesn't want to lose that total control.
But little do they know that such things will eventually be taken from them anyway.
Might as well as soften the blow to come and do all it can to help theAlaskan public.

• Recruit for a hitch, not necessarily a career. Maj. Leveque says the troopers' emphasis in the past has been on making the job a career. What about five or six years? With the right recruits, that would be long enough for the troopers to get a good return on their investment, give the individuals tremendous experience and increase the applicant pool without decreasing standards.

And some people who already have decided upon this career as a Calling and are waiting to be included, are already here!
Recruit for a hitch is a great idea, as is Rotation out to theBush!!
and Retention for current AST.
And setting up "safe housing" in outer communities and Villages where AST would live.
Empowering more Troops, VPSO's and VPO's with flight skills and buying more aircraft would open up new avenues of service for AST.

• Statewide law enforcement categories. Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan has proposed three categories of law enforcement officers covering the range of skills needed by village police officers to troopers. The idea is to give officers at lower levels incentives for more training to step up to better jobs, while creating an Alaska-grown pool of recruits for the troopers and municipal police agencies. It also could fortify rural law enforcement, which is sorely lacking in many villages.

I agree with Incentive giving, and more training.
And we can't forget to include Much of theAlaskan Native population in on these new changes that are essentially, in the End, meant to protect them, serve them.
In all my years of service here in Alaska, theNatives are still painfully aware of Racism, Discrimination and Abuse directed towards them by AST / white people.
Certainly I have experienced these things, albeit, covertly.
I hope that the newly appointed Commissions will do a better job than previous State leaders.

Public safety is an investment Alaska can't afford to shortchange. A trooper's job requires people motivated by more than money. But a little more money, along with management's willingness to try new ideas, may get some of those good people through the door.

Some of those good people have already been through "theDoor"s of theAcademy.
Have been through theDoors of AST.
Have already been in good contact with AST and yet have been overlooked and have been prevented access to further serving thePublic.
I hope these people will indeed follow their own advice.

BOTTOM LINE: Alaska State Troopers, and Alaska's villages, need at least five dozen more good men and women.

And if theTroopers work with theVillages and are sincere, they'll get more than 5 dozen personnel.
I'm willing to bet that in each Village, or in key villages in various Regions, there can be additional State trained men & women standing by to help.
That's why I avocate Trooper mission rotations instead of family movings in case some spouses and children can't handle Bush life.
That's why I advocate flight trainings and additional Protective Security Detail training for key Villagers, the EMT skills to be learned too. Not just ETT.
Every Region in theState should have it's own Flight craft and facilities, Riverine craft and facilities, Have their own base / State Bldg / Barracks to rotate out to and serve from.
I advocate the genuine embracing, by theState, of Community Policing.
Getting out of theUniform & thePatrol vehicle if necessary to live in and play in theVillages.
I also advocate myself as being one of these dozens of good men that theState wishes it had.
_____________

My thoughts that I shared centered upon this event that happened to me while I was in Sitka, Jan & Feb 2002 for VPSO Academy at theAlaskaStateTrooper / Public Safety Academy.

The newspaper only gave us 250 words or less to write, but here in Blog I will expand what I said to thePaper.

I said that I was a VPSO for a time in theVillage and knew Major Leveque during my VPSO years.

I said that I had applied to theAST / state troopers at least 4 times since 2001 and was not picked for AST training.

I complained that theState had all these former VPSO's / Village Public Safety Officers and VPO's / Village Police Officers that they had trained and vetted / tested.

And here they are complaining of lack of manpower and subsequent issues stemming from having low numbers of recruits for AST academy.

I continued further, that when I was a Recruit, AST Leveque was then AC / Academy Commander

and early one morning at 0500hrs he was watching us VPSO recruits exercise and did participate with us.

AST AC Leveque would walk among us Recruits and instruct us in calisthenics.
Leveque then stood by me, while theClass was doing Body-weight Squats.

I wasn't doing them right, so AST Leveque stepped closer and showed me how to properly squat.

At that time I wanted to keep on doing the set of 25 or Whatever!! number of repetitions that we were doing and then move onto theNext evolution with the group.

But Leveque kept on talking to me and I was still squatting on the Mat while others kept exercising and then rotated around the Floor.

It was irritating back then, but I half listened to theCommander and half paid attention to theClass mates around me.

AST AC Leveque was in theWay, He was a distraction to me, etc.
Or was he!?

I took that lesson I learned at theAcademy, back to theVillage with me and applied it to theVPSO work that I continued to do,

as I had initially worked OJT w/ Troopers 2 weeks and then went to theVillage for 10 months until the next Yearly VPSO class convened.

Basically I was a VPSO before theAcademy taught me anything, but I was not stubborn,

I learned much from theAcademy time and still have much of my reading materials and such from that experience.

But what I took back to theVillage from that one early morning lesson taught to me by the AC Leveque,

is to not only pay attention to what's going on Out There around me, but to pay attention to what is immediately in front of me,

to pay attention to what has always been around me, to not overlook what was there in the First place to help me or warn me, to provide for me or to harm me.

That was the lesson I precisely wrote, or had in mind when I commented to theADN about this article up above. And I concluded by lamenting that I wished theAST would follow their own advice.

I only post this to my Blog because, if ADN had intentions of posting it up on their site, they'd have done it by now.

And that's a benefit of being in a free Country as Alaska!!
I can exercise my freedom of speech and expression by telling my story.

Besides, I am a Navy Veteran and have fought for this right to speak and express myself.
I have earned this.

Samuel L Flyinghorse
Run from Sam!!, Run from Sam!!, RUN FROM SAM!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poop Moose Has Bottomed Out!!!

theSam!! vs YouTube!?

ELECTION DAY 2006