EVP

EVP

Electronic Voice Phenomena.
Making recordings and listening to them later on to hear "dead people speak".

Just a few hours ago I saw the movie trailers on a new movie about EVP that will start playing in theatres everywhere, even up here in Alaska.

My Own Meddling's
I had stumbled upon such things as a VPSO when sent to a remote Alaskan Native Village. I did it with just a cheap $30 Sony MCR (micro cassette recorder)

As I had daily contact with the "criminal element" in the village I had a duty to be fair and honest in my interactions with each person so I always carried at least two MCR's and 4-blank 60min micro cassette tapes with me plus extra batteries.

I hid my MCR's throughout the Lodge where I lived, taped up under tables and in the potted plants that were hung up. I even taped an old MCR that the previous VPSO gave to me. I covered that in white paper and taped it above the EXIT signs, as the white would match the white painted walls.

Then after waiting a few hours when I knew I was alone in the Lodge, or else days later I recovered my hidden MCR's and then I listened.

Aside from a few teens and adults sneaking into the Lodge and hanging out wondering what I was doing,

oh he's showering, now he just left.
Wait he's back again,
giggle giggle.

I did succeed in capturing voices on tape and hearing strange messages.
There was a young girl that died in that Lodge and some villagers would not go to the Lodge after dark after that.

I don't know if any voices I heard on tape were hers. Probably.

Definitions
Now as I understand it EVP is a task that is relegated to the paranormal events category. In which professional and amateur "Ghost Hunters", using audio tape recorders, visit various "haunted" sites and hit the "record" button.

Then the audio tape is played back and analyzed. For the best results it's recommended to use digital audio recorders and using computer software to break down the tracks or layers in the recording to isolate voices and other sounds.

This is what one EVP site says:

The International Ghost Hunters Society has been a pioneer and leader in the EVP development for the ghost hunting community since 1996. Today, many ghost clubs include EVP on their web sites. Electronic Voice Phenomena is a process whereby the voice or voices of the dead are embedded onto magnetic recording tape by a process that we do not understand.

The embedded "ghost" voice can be heard when the magnetic audio tape is played back on a tape recorder/player or with a digital recorder. Ghost voices are clear and do not sound like static, but some voices are weak and found at the noise level.

Honestly I really don't believe in that EVP stuff, or at least I don't believe in it enough to practice it. I know that the "Dead" are not far from us, The spirit world is close by, on another "plane" or another dimension if you will.

A Childhood Experience with the Dead

Personally, I have seen dead people standing or walking, but mostly standing in place during various times of my life.

I was a preschooler and still hadn't learned the concept of doorways yet unless you took me through one. I was at home and wandering around outside our house and couldn't get inside so I was crying. The adults inside heard me crying and thought it was just cute of me to be in that situation.

After awhile a woman came to me and guided me to the door and opened it for me. I never saw her before in my life and never saw her again, she wasn't a relative of mine. Because I at least knew that brown people were relatives of mine and that white people were strangers. And living in that house for a few years, none of our white neighbors ever visited us or came over for any reason.

Earlier when I was an infant crawling around. I was sitting up by the front door and it opened up and a man entered the room.

He was an "uncle" of mine, a relative / a Lakota Native of ours that was supposed to be hundreds of miles away in the hospital. And indeed at the time I saw him, he was in the hospital.

He looked down at me and smiled and then looked around at the family. I smiled and giggled and "talked" to him.
Except that none of my relatives there in the home / living room could see this man.

Because as he was in the hospital and on that particular day that I saw him there in the living room, standing over me.
He was eating Thanksgiving dinner in his hospital room and choked and later died.

To this day some of my Lakota relatives are scared of me. I spook them out a little bit for some reason.

They say that on that day our relative died I "looked up at the door as it opened up
(the knob turned on it's own, and you had to push a little on the door; which opened completely by itself) and started smiling and babbling away like I was talking to somebody, everybody present got scared" mama says. Including her.

Some relatives of mine freaked out even more when they heard of the death of our relative and noted the time of death, close to when we all were celebrating our Thanksgiving dinner, and they put one and two together and.... as I said. freaked out even more.

the People in White

A second event I'll relate. It was early 1980's and just mom, little sister Jess, little brother Charles (now deceased) and I were living in a $100 month rented home in Oklahoma (where the winds sweeping down the plains must have brought on a terrible short sickness for me)

Overnight I got sick. I experienced nasty flu like symptoms and overall body aches and feeling 3' thick and 10' tall. I fell into restless sleep and got into some terrible nightmares and then I woke upon realizing that my family and I weren't alone in our house.

There were people from all walks of life standing close by or slowly walking around & through our house. They were in our little yard and I could sense them being out further even beyond that.

They were all around us out on the street, out past the field that sat next to our small yard & house, they were all over our little town, but most importantly at that moment when I woke up from my nightmares. These people were in our house and I wanted them to leave.

Mama says that I woke up and rushed from my bedroom (where I slept with my brother) into the living room (where mama and Jess slept) and I was holding a baseball bat.

"get out!!" I kept yelling, but none of those Spirits would leave.
They didn't seem alarmed by me either, just ignoring me and doing what they were doing as if I wasn't even there at all.

I went back to bed as this vision before my eyes left me. I still ached and felt nauseous and woke the next morning feeling fine. And we talked about what I saw later on and I have put that experience behind me.

Something Wicked This Way Comes...

Maybe that nights vision was a warning to me? Because a year or two later, I would be literally protecting the lives of my mother and sister after a man attacked them in our home. The man was my first stepdad I ever knew in life. A big white man of German descent that married my mom and fathered my sister and brother.

I dunno how hands that held me and loved me could end up hurting my mother. My first Stepdad was a wife beater, a philanderer and a liar.
It was him that first took us all to the Mormon church in South Dakota. Those LDS, those white people were kind to mother and I.

Most were good people and I first learned about God and Jesus Christ from their perspective. I've been with that Church ever since and I at least inwardly call this wife beating stepdad the respectful name of "Daddy".

Mama divorced this man mid 1970's and later on in the year 1984, he came back into our lives for a few weeks until that fateful day when my Daddy got mad at mama for not "getting back together with him". He was always angry, always distant. He hadn't changed at all in his absence.

Some Mexican men would often drop in on us to visit mama and they visited us that day when my Daddy was there. I guess he didn't like that at all.
And after they left Daddy got mad and upon not hearing or sensing any commitments to him (from her) he got violent.

....And now It's at the Door

I understood the patterns of Domestic Violence (DV) long before I ever heard a police lecture on this subject. I saw Daddy get mad at mama when I was younger (when she was married to him in the early 1970's) and later on in the day my puppy or dog would disappear.

I'd find my pet,(I found several pets like this) dead, discarded in our house somewhere and never knew why until many years later.

DV offenders often throw things around, break possessions first and hurt or kill pets of their victims then later on they go after their victims.

So once again. After many years of not seeing my "Daddy" and having peace in our house and our lives. He comes back again working and living nearby. Then that one day when he gets violent, after hearing my Daddy start to yell and carry on in the kitchen with my mama I stayed in the living room and waited for the inevitable violence. And after it started I peeked into the kitchen and saw Daddy hitting and choking mama.

I calmy went to my bedroom and retrieved my axe handle. By the time I got back to the kitchen, my dad was beating up on my sister after she stepped in to protect my mama. I put the axe handle to the back of my dad's head and he went down. He crawled out of the house and left.

I had grown up little by little all my life fighting other boys here and there defending myself or defending others. But in a worldly manner and according to Lakota custom, I had just defended my family against harm or death. I didn't kill the man, but by dropping him I became a man that day.

So perhaps that night I got sick and taxed enough in body and spirit to get in touch with seeing visions of dead people was a warning of my old stepdad coming back into our lives again later on.

Religion

From my LDS / Mormon Church upbringing I was taught that a "Veil" separates us living from the dead. I was also taught that neither the living nor the dead are permitted to cross into the other sphere (the dead to visit us nor are we permitted to visit the dead) at whim.

Would you like to be summoned here and there by someone you don't know? As regarding these psychics and seance people that conjur up spirits of dead people that they never knew or heard of. I don't believe in that stuff.

All I know is that if one of us "living" dabbles in the paranormal long and hard enough. Someone on the Other side will answer, and most likely it will be an Evil spirit or several of them.

I believe and know that our spirits live on after our body's death. We were made in the image of God. Beautiful bodies and much potential for growth within each of us.

Later on in life when my younger brother Charles had cancer at 16 and died at 17. He would have dreams and often visions when he was awake; of angels and of people coming to see him.

But these manifestations to this young boy were good and not scary. Soon, people were waiting for him and I'm glad my brother slipped away quietly when he died.

I guess that spirits are made of fine matter, and perhaps all this sight and sounds can be captured on film and tape. But I'm not one of those people to introduce that influence into my life.

I have friends back home in South Dakota (when I lived with LDS / Mormons and grew up away from the Reservation) that were dabbling in ouija boards and other Satanic stuff.

I'd visit the reservation during the summer times and some kids would be jittery and scared. Cold winds literally blew out windows to their houses and everyone got "touched" by something invisible and a few people saw "Bigfoot" or other creatures. I'm glad I never grew up with such circumstances and superstition.

Even here in Alaska at least 3 times in the last 5 years I've been here to this village mama tells me of the other apt residents who experience feeling an unseen presence close by. And a couple of the Grandma's here (the sober, non drinking ones) tell of being touched by a hand when they were all alone.

As our apt site was built upon an old Ahtna Native burial ground. Even next door at Apt 6 (when her grandkids are around then it's apt 666!!! or when her young Oh so HOT teen grand daughters are here visiting from Anchorage then it's Apt 911 !!! ) we hear noises like people walking around and doors closing and things rattling around.

The woman next door goes off on weekends and leaves the cat and bird all alone. But none of this noise and news we hear around the village bothers me. I place my faith in the facts that as long as I don't go looking for them (the dead people) then they won't come looking for me

(at this point in typing....turns Beany baby Moose away. As little Moose is my toy I brought home and he sits upon my monitor and watches for computer viruses. But his beady little eyes are kind of spooky. Often I pick him up, he's only 8" tall, and make him walk and then guide his head like he's watching mama or else looking at my little sister. It is fun to make him watch people)

Father Abraham

As far as Scriptures are concerned about matters like EVP. All of you who were brought up with some belief in the Bible can turn to Luke 16:19-31 of the King James version.

Where Jesus gives the parable of the rich man and Lazarus.

19. There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:

20. And their was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores.

21. And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.

22. And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;

23. And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

24. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

25. But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.

26. And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed; so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

27. Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:

28. For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.

29. Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.

30. And he said, Nay, father Abrahm: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.

31. And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.


Between heaven and hell, there is a Separation.

One cannot pass to the other. And also one cannot pass from the spirit world back to the Living.

The rich man wanted to have Lazarus go back (to the living) and appear to the rich man's relatives.

Abraham said that the living have the prophets, the scriptures, church and opportunities to serve God and mankind.

No! but if a person from the dead contacted them, and scared them, amazed them and spooked them and spoke religion, they would change their evil ways!!

If they will not hear the prophets and go to church and read scriptures and live good lives while they are living, They wouldn't change even if a person rose from the dead and appeared to them.

Don't be actively seeking out counsel from the Dead. Don't be using witch craft devices and delving into the dark mysterys to conjure up visitations and wisdom. You'll only get an answer from Satan and his followers. So that is what I think of dead people and of this EVP.

Meddling's Continued

But as I said earlier, I had stumbled upon something completely new when reviewing some of my cassette recordings of various events when I worked as a VPSO. Back then in theVillage when working I recorded from the point I entered a house or before approaching a person. And let the microphone of my cheap recorders do it's magic.

Often I carried two MCR's so I could give one tape to the Village Council Liasson (sp??) so she'd know what I was doing in theVillage.
I would often transcribe from each recording and piece together events as they happened.

As I said in some earlier writings of mine. And I don't know if I ever sent them out like this to you friends. But when I was awake for 2 to 3 days all tired, worn out and delusional and had to do arrests and prisoner transports and / or deal violently with violent offenders. I would get a glimpse of certain people as they looked when they were children.

They were scared and crying. They looked unkempt and under nourished. I could tell that they were abused and neglected. And these manifestations to my only lasted a few seconds.

A few of these events captured upon my MCR's reveal nothing out of the ordinary. Just the same old scratchy, white noise kind of thing and then My voice and that of those I deal with. I have become a mini Expert in such things because I can sit down and repeatedly listen to the tapes and pick out voices and other sounds.

And in my earlier musings upon this I guessed that this was my own built in safety in my makeup when in such violent situations.

I know that many of us have seen or witnessed abuse to children, spouses, family members. And such crimes are wrong. I'm glad that there are movements all across our nation to combat such violence.

I like to think that us LEO's (law enforcement officers) are not just human sanitation engineers!! But we are recorders of history in the making.

We keep detailed reports and keep the memories in our heads and often upon our hearts. No one else knows our pain and the rage we feel at times. And no one knows the relief and the emotional release that washes over us too when cases are solved.

But I discovered something new when reviewing certain micro cassette tapes of events that I recorded in Minto. Really!! It's kind of freaky and unbelievable but it's on tape and I'm not getting rid of those tapes for....4 more years.

As in Alaska we VPSO's are told to keep our records, log books, journals, tapes, video, other paperwork etc for 5 yrs from the time we make them. I left Minto in 2003 and can trash everything in Oct 2008.

I Hear Voices
Feb 26, 0145hrs.
the VPSO notes date and time into his recorder.
"John?!!"
"You have an arrest warrant for $1000"
"I have somebody else hooked up and ready to go to Fairbanks.
All I need is you."


John's small circle of family and friends move around the Officer and Jaycee (johns sister) steps in and grabs Johns arm.
She and the VPSO engage in a brief tug-of-war with John in the middle.

"my arm!" screams John. And he collapses.

Encouraged by this cry of help from John
the circle around the Officer gets smaller and everyone starts poking and pushing at the uniform.
"keep away from me I said!" the officer repeatedly warns.

Their hands clawing at the duty belt and pulling at the big brown ballistic vest
Then a hand grabs the Yellow Tazer.

The officer stiffens up and let's go of his suspect and reaches for his baton.
Wow, this is just like the Academy training.

You'll find your duty belt askew or an item missing when you know you had it moments before.
His hand reached for the closest thing, the OC spray.

"ssppphhhtttttt"

Then the voices begin to manifest themselves.
"AAAgghhhhh!!!! My eyes. I can't see!!"

""Cough-cough-cough"... spitting and sputtering.
"damn it, damn yooo!!!, aguhhh.."

Closing

The voices always spoke the same tired messages though.
"Get out of my house"
"Don't touch me or I'll sue you"
"Keep away from me"
"Hey...Don't pour that out, I paid $100 for that"

etc.
And there ya' have it!!
d:oP

What I have recently experienced in the village of being visited in dreams by deceased Natives or being visited literally, I'll keep to myself.

We'll see what happens in my next adventures as VPSO to another village out in Western Alaska.

(Authors Note: This was contained in an email sent out to some friends last year in 2005. I may drag out my field notes as necessary but those micro-cassette tapes I have I haven't touched them and later on I will burn them, if I haven't already.)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Samuel!

It's Tashna from Lakhota.com

I just caught the movie White Noise on HBO and out of curiousity typed it in blogger.com

Your blog was the first one that came up! :D

Great to see / read you again! Take care friend,
Tashna

Popular posts from this blog

Poop Moose Has Bottomed Out!!!

theSam!! vs YouTube!?

ELECTION DAY 2006