Emergency Medical Transport-It all Begins with a Dream!

I hit the Internet hard when I research things. I get into newsgroups and into forum discussions and even real-time chat with some people via Chat rooms.

Just before Fall of 2004 I had been contacting Transport vendors to see what ideas I could bounce off them.

I had taken steps to being my own Security Guard Agency here in Alaska and had other paperwork to finish up. Then some people wanted me to be VPSO for them, so I put all those personal dreams on hold.

But I had plans and dreams of what someday would be like if I had my own Security Agency. I'm not afraid to share with anyone what I have in mind for the Alaska public.

This state is BIG and needs all the help from as many people possible in policing, patrolling and protecting the lonely roads of this Last Frontier. Right now, with my previous VPSO experience I feel comfortable going into any Police, Fire, EMT, SAR, probations officer situation.

And the kind of Security Agency I'd run would do all of that as well. We'd patrol the road, visit outlying regions and even be nice & friendlier than other Agencies.

We'd have ground units and smaller Hummer vehicles too, and add an Aviation transport wing by our 5th year in business.

Some one sent me an e-mail and I answered him.
maybe you're from truck conversions?
for now I'm just looking at rigs.

In two years I want to have over 14 employees and we would supplement existing AK State Trooper & Alyeska pipeline security presence on the lonely highways north to Delta Junction and East to Tok and South.

Lots of driving!! And if we needed to go further North to Fairbanks and further South to Anchorage or to Valdez - so be it.

You asked about what I had in mind for a Show Hauler type transport rig.
Our Security Guard duties will be Police-Security/EMT/Fire/SAR related with an emphasis on EMS services and roving Security.

So there should be storage lockers for various long guns & ammo. Other security related gear as well as the usual EMT medical equipment in the back of the rigs.

I love the Kenworth Showhaulers and the Kingsley coaches that I have seen but have only seen one distant photo of an actual 4 door semi cab. And I want more than 2 doors on the front cab.

I don't want a square looking passenger bus like the Alaska Tourist guides run their people in. I want my drivers to have some Engine to protect them in the event of a motor vehicle collision or a collision with a moose.

I want a long-nose semi style cab that it is aerodynamic and one that looks great rolling down the road, instead of a square (bus).

I want the 3rd & 4th passengers in the cab to hop out of the rig via their own door
on the side as well as the entire crew having access to the back of the rig from the front cab.

I want 4 doors on the front cab, 4 comfortable - reclining seats in the cab,
a small berthing w/4 bunks located just behind the cab and then a small 1/2 bath.
I get the feeling that if this "dream" does come true for me.

That the State will want in on it and will want their employees that ride along to sleep well in the berthing area and be fed well from the mini refrigerators.

So I'll have to staff each EMT with at least one AK State Trooper or city Police, perhaps even with Interns or even a Dr if my rigs visit outlying road villages and stay a day or two.

Sick call on the 3rd through 8th over here, then again 16th to 22 over there with dentists, doctors and emt/paramedics. That does seem like a good thing to do huh?

I want room in the back portion of the Emergency Medical Transport for three guerneys in the middle, and room for the type of tables that lift up to "stack" patients bunkbed style if needed. As my units will be for short hauls or for mass casualties.

Standard shelving on the wall sides for EMT equipment, big O2 bottles in separate storage bins under the chassis, and smaller EKG/spO2 kits. Whatever an ambulance holds, I want each rig of mine to hold more and do long range transports as well as short rides.

I'm also looking around for the type of "telemedicine" units that most of the State's rural and village Health Aides use to show Dr's in Anchorage & Fairbanks hospitals the patients in real-time.

I've also considered those small low-does radiation body-scanners that are now in use in some of our Nations busiest Medical Trauma centers. Where the patients are placed upon and the machine scans them in minutes.

Such shock-sensitive equipment would be carried aboard my fleet of EMT's. As they will be patrolling the state's highway system 24/7 and would need to be cushioned and buffered from the jolts of Alaska's rough roads. And kept warm and dry too.

As far as communications. I'm planning on the usual CB radio/UHF/VHF/set ups.
Also aircraft transceivers, GPS units, satellite phones.

I want to install grill and dash mounted Thermal cams, a dash-mounted video camera system. A p/a system too. And stereo/CD/Tape and DVD system so on the downtime rides, the rest of the crew can listen & watch at their individual cabin seats.
So the electrical system will have quite a load on it.

As far as SAR duties. I dunno if it would be worth the hassle to get a big 50'behemoth rig that can store two 4-wheelers or two snowmachines in the 10' garage in back?

Or else use that space along with space under the chassis for a 300 gallons water and foam storage, hoses and other apparatus as part of the "fire dept" duties we will be doing.

I appreciate the offer of help with the rigs. But for now I'm just looking, planning and scheming.

Thanks for writing to me. Like you said in post. I do want to do it all or at least I want to have the equipment and training available.

And then I'll find people that will be able to do such things. So that when Alaska gets hit really hard my rigs will still be rolling. lol.
Happy thanksgiving 2004.
Samuel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poop Moose Has Bottomed Out!!!

theSam!! vs YouTube!?

ELECTION DAY 2006