From Worse to even Badder!!

As inspired by reading about being a Barista at Starbucks is / was a Fantasy job for many people,

And as posted online at TrishNetwork, whom hosts cuteLil' SockMoose!! as mascot, just wait till he gets to Trophy age, some hunter will put him in their sights or better still, lil' SockedMoose!! will get hit by a car and end up as RoadKill.
d:oP
--------------------

Fantasy Jobs!!
« on: Today at 02:57:05 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote Modify messageModify
----------------
BaristaSam!!'s MySpace Status:
BaristaSam!
Very shocked that his Barista!! job at $t@rbuck$ is considered a "Fantasy job", wtf!?, If it was, I'd get Wages, Prestige & Whiter teeth!!

-----------------

theSam!! read somewhere online,
probably at $t@rbuk$ go$$lp do+ {oM that people once thought of being a Barista was not only a dream job, but a fantasy one!! Wink

I've even heard that suggestion last decade when I was standing behind theSalon!! chair with my womenz and standin' beside theMassag table too, tongue-out

That some people made odd comments now and then about coffee workers,
"I'm just gonna go serve coffee and retire" Thinking
"I'm going to work for 5bucks!! coffeeCorp and be rich!!" etc Ummm...
and I'd wonder a second, then, Perm solution, or else, feeling Muscle adhesions would bring me back to reality-back then!! Thumbs Up

I can tell you that this Barista work is so much fun,
I'm glad that I'm not actually 'working' for theCompany itself!!, cos instead of stockOptions and free coffee every week, I'd browbeat management into giving me free (outdated) pastries instead!!

but am working for another wellKnown grocer company that just happened to apply for
and receive "Licensed to Use" the 5Bucks name, logo and push "their" product lord knows how long ago.

I'm glad that one fateful day about 5 months back, someone called me and told me to head over to a group job interview, I did and............here I am!! Blank Stare

I still have a blank stare on my face now and then each day at work,
but then I open up an airPot to dump out the "Old" coffee, and I wake up!! Happy

It's like a little light comes on inside....uhm.... Thinking
somewhere inside me,

and ALL my life's exerience and greatCustomer service skills-thus far attained-all come front and center
and I barely squeak out...."what can I make for you!?"
LOL

I know somedays I drop the ball and lose a few customers that Have been Waiting in line, they grow impatient
and have to move on while I'm making several drinks for one customer,

at first, I could say, "I just started!!" and meant it, but soon enough I was ALL alone on an 8 hour shift and startled myself sometimes how fast I was working and juggling 3 to 5 different Cold & Hot coffee drinks in front of me and making them right as well!!

even two days ago, back when a preggers girl visited and was so happy about her pending babies birth, I also remember THAT day because I lost 4 customers total throughout that day,

Earlier when a woman in a customized motorWheelChair was slowly ordering and coughing and could barely
grasp her $ let alone her drink we made for her,

some people balked at that and left the line but a few regulars stayed - if only for their penchant for caffeine!!

People are funny, "I'm funny!! (as in quirky I guess) about things, but a lot of us accept the long lines and the
waiting and we get what we want to consume................... eventually!!

and to some degree, I'd hope that people waiting in MY coffeeKiosk lines would consider, That slinging coffee can be fun, but it isn't all glamorous.

I mean,
it's like, in the store where I work at, theGrocerStore, is theDeli dept,
and theBakery division, thePharmacy and theMeatCounter, and Produce, and theFlorist dept too,

there are lines in all these divisions throughout the day and NOT just at myKiosk counter (the$t@rbvck$ one)
I've seen my share of whiteBread, middle class people, plus a few Homies and 2 Natives!! have total meltdowns
about me and my service!! Arrgh!

But every where else I've seen people get mad at other counterPeople, consider that most of theSr's citizens like theDiscounts they get with being Insured!! and whatNot, but they get bent out of shape when copays go up, dispensary amounts go down and when lines get longer too!!

and just last week,
one chica!! with baby on her hip was weaving her way through theStore and her lil' one grabbed a flower display (as they went past Floral!!) and *Crash!!*

there was wet mess, and glass hazards and chica kept walking like nothing happened.
And the CourtesyClerks and a mgr cleaned up her mess immediately and scowled at her later as she went back through theLine for more groceries,

Standing behind theKiosk!!, where I work, I now look UP and look around. Am not so focused on the coffee concoctions and mixes in front of me and wanting to get them exactly right, cos by now, I have made (on average) about 70 drinks a day, I say, one every 5 minutes just to be safe,

cos there's times when nothing gets made & sold for 20 to 30 minutes and then, it all catches up with us each hour and we're busy again with multiple orders. I'm now in the habit of watching the store around me now too, cos in these slowEconomy days,

people are doing desparate things to get by and unfortunately, people are stealing food and small items off the grocer shelves on a daily basis.
One of theAsian cooks in theStore, keeps watch on everyone too,

General rule of thumb is,
If someone doesn't pay for an item at the counter where they got it, and they have not basket or cart with them,
they're gonna Walk with it, and this Asian cook runs after people out the door behind them to get items that they haven't paid for.
LOL

I've seen a few people leave without paying but couldn't alert mgmt in time, and fights happen too.

Even yesterday, a nice looking young lady was inspecting hair products and needed some help looking for things.

I was walking by her and HAD to stop, not because I wanted to, I had an empty Kiosk to get back to plus I had my guitar with me kept safe behind out of sight of most everyone and I didn't want to leave it alone, cos theKiosk is so close to the exit doors,

but this woman, needed hair color help and since I've known such Salon matters quite intimately at one time,
I talked with her for a bit, ran my fingers through her hair, told her what places on her head needed touchup and where NOT to,

buy 3 kinds of hair color, alternate them in sections on your head, pull them through at the end of....
WTH

anyway,
and after she was happy with her selection of items she moved on and I did too.
Later on I glanced around, while making some cold frapacino drinks and she's walking with her asian boyfriend,

he's keeping an eye on her and yet, staying distant a few feet, and they move on out of sight,

A couple hours later when I'm closing up shop and taking garbage and detris to the back of the store,
I round the corner with a giant grocer cart full of debris to discard and I see that RedHaired woman sitting on a chair by one of the management offices in back,

a female store mgr is next to her, theAsian boyfriend is too, and thePolice are standing by as well!!
wow. Uh Oh

I guess one of my former Security company workers!!, WTF fell on hard times and lost her job and her hubby and her life went to pot and for the 2nd time that DAY she was caught shoplifting.

Her asian boyfriend WAS roving security, those guys are good, I've served them coffee and been nitpicked a bit regarding them Needing things too just like the general public, but for them security guys & galz, it's part of their job.

I'm just disapointed that these last weeks of me working,
I'm seeing more peeps I used to know or work with and One in particular, under arrest & detention.

Does anybody want to sling Coffee and get so involved in this work, like I do, that you see what I see?!
I hope not.

I don't worry about Benes at all really, cos people these days are "Out for me" when it comes to perks and bennies.
cos, but for the Grace of God I was born native and I get my healthcare needs taken care of (often for free).

I don't abuse that privilege like many Natives do - and they do!! - and aside from being down with flu a few days most winters, I don't get sick.

And people whine and beg about leave days and over time and retirement, stuff I'm not Into at all, and never really was.
In fact, just today I made coffee for a young Man from theVillage!!, back when I was VPSO.

he never gave me troubles at all, he never brought in booze at all, but people around him DID and in my jaded eyes (at the time) this young man was trouble too.
But today, I got to see a villageMan in a new light.

he had on good clothes, had a logo'd ball cap on and that told me he was a Union worker of sorts, probably making $20+ an hr now a days and supporting his family here in theCity, which he is.

Most villagers never seem to stick around in life or stay employed long enough to think of 5 yrs down the road let alone 20 or 30yrs till retirement. But this young man was telling me his life's plan while I waited for his Espresso shots to pour and while I stirred his coffee.

I'm happy to, as it were-according to my Coffee company's creeds, "connect" with various people on a daily basis and in some rare moments, actually see something concrete and definite in them that just stands out and totally "awestrucks" me,

Other times it's preggerz chicks and Hoobered!! Tongue out
chicks with "things" that just hang out and jiggle and sway that awestrucks me.
and speaking of Squids!!

I really admire theParents around me though, cos they have spouses and Kids at home to work for, such blessings have eluded me, but soon enough, my time will come for that!! WTH

I sling coffee, at least for now!!, and I get paid (below minimum wage and NO tips) for it. Sad
I guess I should head on down to theStateAid office tomorrow huh? Get some foodstamps, yeah. Some dream job I have.

it sucks sometimes though,
cos even after payday at work, I can leave theCustomerService desk with my $50 or so bucks!! WTF
and head on over to Deli and these lil' beady Asian eyes are watching me from behind theSalad bar or from behind the Bread racks, Someone ready to sprint after "Me!!" if I even look at the exit door before paying for my food.

Lessee,
What's my Fantasy job!?

I'm a Barista. I feed other people's Caffeine addictions.
I'm part confectionist and candy expert too cos I add various sweet ingredients and just make a standard frap or hot drink a work of art!! Thumbs Up

Who'm else WTH
blends whipped cream IN first in their fraps, and whom else Thinking
sketches & paints!! on the inside of the Clear-see-through cups with flavored syrups and whom else....

oh.. Sad
Other 5Bucks!! barista's do, even thePartners (coworkers of mine) that taught me.

I'm a Maid, cos after people eat food in theFoodCourt between Us and thDeli, they leave their wrappings and crumbs all over, especially theBlack people.

All my life I've seen them act like the world owes them a living and they feed and feed and never clean up after themselves. I've got a few of them as Regulars and they mess up theCondiment bar slopping their coffees all over and scattering sugar,

But it's the deliFood purchasers (from My kiosk) that immediately go eat in FoodCourt, just paces away from me, and they eat and leave and I have to clean up the tables for others to eat.

Now sensible people would think that it's just my place, as a Barista & all around service provider, to do that work and say nothing about it, but I say that they're wrong.

Because, now adays it's everyone's responsibility to keep things clean around them, and around us and not just Me.

I even asked a few of theWhites, my regulars, point blank, So what's the deal about what I do and cleaning up after them, seeing as how they eat?

*pointing to some Inebriate Natives, some welfare whites and some kingly blacks!!*
They said, "to do what You do now and clean up if you must and keep your mouth shut."

But at least two said further, that such uncleanliness and laziness on many people's part is the result of what Society has fed them (and Us) over our lifetimes,

That you go buy food and eat and OTHER people will clean up after you,
that you go out and expect to be entertained and Other people will clean up after you and Other people will protect you and and Other people will Work for you.

and I agree.
Cos in my lil' part of this wonderful universe known as $5Bucks coffee kiosk!!
We're ALL right.

I provide the services and goods, and I do it right, and I clean up and I help and help and help as much as I can.

Even if the coffee customers are mean and rude,
even if they stand in line just to steal off my counter (the gums and theHard biscuits) and to snatch cups from me just to prove a point in doing it!!
(like one lil' old lady always does, and funny thing, she's part of that Sr Citizens org just down theMall way!!), how fucked up is that?!

How sad is it when theGreatestGeneration!!, now theBabyBoomers are stealing things from a Barista right in front of other people and other kids?! it's sad.

This Barista job isn't fun and glamorous sometimes, at least for 5 minutes of every 8 hrs.
I'd say the rest of the time I'm very happy with my current job and happy with my overall Life, because my past work and past Living helps me to see from a vast perspective on things that many workers just don't have!!

And where I fall pitifully short in seeing things and helping out other people,
my incredibly Cute!!, fun, incredibly talented Partners!! chip in,

and yeah, Sad
I guess my mean, Mean!! LC / LB / KM / LearningCoach LeadBarista!! and KioskMgr too.
She's talented in the way of theBean!!
She taught me everything I know about coffee and so have the other girls
(that have, sadly, moved on to other jobs)

Just me and my LC-LB-KM are ranking seniority in theKiosk!! and I'm asked what shifts I want upcoming weeks,

I say, don't screw over theOther 2 new girls coming on / In training and don't screw over the other Partners either.
I love me job / my Barista calling, but I don't want to do it at the expense of the other girls.

I'm winding things down now waiting Re entry into uncleSam!!'s military service.
I don't need anything special.
Just give me enough to pay my rent and internet and I'm happy.

I'd say that "MY" dream job would be to doing some Alcohol BarTending!! downtown somewhere.
In fact, I've kept applying at a few places every 3 months for the last 3+ yrs I've lived here in theCity!!

But everywhere I apply too for BarTending, or even as Dishwashing and Serving, as BarBack, as Security..... Anything just to get my foot in the door and I'm not hired.

Last week, Humpy's put out a Craigslist ad and just as quickly took it down over night, but I saw it, and I applied (again) and no one called me back.

It isn't just that I want to barTend at Humpy's specifically, but in general to see how I do at that work,

Because everywhere I've gone here in Anchorage, I don't see any Native at all behind theCounter making the big tips and slinging Shots at people,

I only see white people, maayybbee a black person, a couple of asians and a mexican too, but this Native here, doesn't get a shot at doing theAlcohol barTending and I think that is unfair of Humpy's or any other place I've applied to (repeatedly) to not give us applicants the decency of callbacks or Interviews and meeting face to face,

but then again, Work such as Alcohol barTending often IS, a "whom you know that I know or a Manager In charge knows" game,

and I've played that game too, theWho You Know, and still didn't get hired.
it sucks but it's everyone elses loss and not mine.

considering what I've heard and what I've seen in my time as Client and from working for a few restaurants in downtown Anchorage (where I didn't get promoted and got my hours cut shorter and shorter altogether),

I'm glad that I'm not working at my "BarTending Dream job",
You've got philandering Executive chefs putting their In-Uniform wives at health risk!!, visiting theClinic for shots and leaving his paperwork out in the dressing room trash!! Happy

You've got Lesbian bar mgrs that hate men in general and toss out ALL male applicant paperwork!! Grumpy

You've got criminal Intent restaurant owners with shady partners and no one wants to hire theHonest, ex Public safety Officer from theVillage!! Blank Stare

You've got barMgrs that hate Natives and won't meet with them when they walk into theEstablishment looking for work but bend over backwards in the media for Events and gatherings!! glaring

You've got one chef that ends up in jail now and then and has no drivers license and his military / in uniform wife...
oh.. I've said that already.

well.
My list can go on and on from what I've seen and heard and verified. I'm glad that right now I just sling Coffee,

Cos I'm needed where I'm at, my Peeps!! love me and besides,
I'm not walking 7 or 8 miles to South Anchorage or even out to theAirport anymore to work Back & forth each day, been there done that, I'm just LAZY!! d:oP

I'm only walking a mile to work and staggering home!!
(after hittin' PackageStore tongue-out ) after wards.
just kidding.

Being aBarista!! is my dream job, Tongue out
I work and I dream...............................

I only dream that I was AT Another Job!! Silly

------------------------------------------

lovs,
BaristaSam!!
SLFlyinghorse
Anchorage, AK

standing behind what I say,
cos I don't wanna stand In Front of it ALL!!

WTF
--------------------------------

-theSam!! STILL NOT wanted in 300+ Villages and 48, 49...50 States!

-HeavyMental guitar!!
YZARCM
HHGAAA
EMPOTS

-Hey BartenderSam!!, Another shot please!!
*BANG*

-Hey BartenderSam!!, Draw 3 glasses of beer!!
.....hey, Put down that Sketchpad!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poop Moose Has Bottomed Out!!!

theSam!! vs YouTube!?

ELECTION DAY 2006