Black horse

----------------------------------------
“When a man begins to be an enemy to this work, he hunts me, he seeks to kill me, and never ceases to thirst for my blood.

He gets the spirit of the devil-the same spirit that they had who crucified the Lord of Life- the same spirit that sins against the Holy Ghost.

You cannot save such persons; you cannot bring them to repentance; they make open war, like the devil, and awful is the consequence.”
------------------------------------------


Thoughts are Things

I hold it true that thoughts are things;
They're endowed with bodies and breath and wings;
And that we send them forth to fill
The world with good results, or ill.

That which we call our secret thought
Speeds forth to earth's remotest spot,
Leaving its blessings or its woes
Like tracks behind it as it goes.

We build our future thought by thought,
For good or ill, yet know it not.
Yet, so the universe was wrought.

Thought is another name for fate;
Choose, then, thy destiny and wait,
For love brings love and hate brings hate.

---Henry Van Dyke
-----------------------------------

awesome.

well written.


it is true, that when visited by or taken to see God & Christ, you do remember. You don't change the story ever.

God does want us to succeed, to grow, to become so much more than we are now.

I read here and there on this Site, and though many may sorrow for Me and shake their heads, etc.

I take comfort that I am an Native first,
a Christian 2nd and remotely lds after that.

Though you and many others here have taken theScholars road and dug up the past, I care not to read and study and find out about the past.

We Natives already have that spiritual link with God and we already know.

Blessings to thee on your journey.
--Forum note to an former LDS woman, she and her family left theChurch--

They retrieved their son from his Mission too.
They stopped believing in all of this, all of what theChurch is.

I, however, stopped believing in theChurch's people.
They don't live theWays of Christ as they profess,
otherwise, I wouldn't be alone and I wouldn't be so far from home.

By their fruits, in your own life, ye shall know them.

However, I do believe in God and in Christ.
For in my own ways, I have seen them too.
I knew of them in visitations during Infancy and by other
beings standing guard over me & my Mother, my new little Sister and
my little brother too.
They are real and I will not deny this.

For us Lakota, we know of theGreat and Sacred,
we know of theCreator and of an AfterLife.

Religion for us, long before theWhites came into our lives, was Life.
And was not just a system of procedures, littany, prose and text.

Though these days are theLast and men's hearts fail them,
never lose hope that there is something More for us.

Eternity is big and wide, we will all arrive there some way and eventually.
------------------------------
BlackHorse

For me,
I began my long road in Mormonism along an narrow stretch of highway in SouthDakota.

It was theDay that I was to be in McLaughlin to be on theBus along with other young Native school kids. We were all participants in theLDS Indian student placement program.

Essentially, we were given a chance to get OFF theRezervation and experience life outside, beyone what we knew then.

Some Natives abused that Church program, went from family to family, acted as scouts for their extended family and eventually moved everyone to where they were staying!!

Some Natives couldn't handle theSeparation from parents, siblings and went home.

Some Natives worked theSystem and got more or Less to their advantage.
Others took what was offered and made something of themselves, I took what was offered.

Even my own dear Mother sent me walking east from my home community of McIntosh, with her boyfriend, JoeMoe.

Joe was an white guy,
I liked him, mustache, piercing deep eyes, handsome face and his mustache separated theCamel smoke that blew out his Nose & Mouth at the same time.
he was a good man.

Me & Joe hitch hiked for miles east along theHighway.

There in South Dakota to theWest and East of McIntosh (my home town) are a few farm settlements, ruins if you will.

Silent, mute holdouts of HomeLand farming, what I call theGood Old days.

Another step-Dad of mine, his parents were Immigrants.
Strong stout people they were. Speaking German to each other, Grandma & Granpa.
In my infancy they coddled me to and fed me, spoke to me and were kind to me-a little Indian child.

Those grandparents of mine, those other Old time residents of that part of SouthDakota were farmers, they worked agriculture and lived in theOutlying farm lands surrounding each small community of theHighway-as it runs through McIntosh.

As a child, my family and I would drive West or East of McIntosh and I'd look out the car window and see those same old abandoned farm buildings,

those old houses and fences, those windmills, those grain silos standing tall.
Still proud and still on duty.

And that one day when I walked theHighway with JoeMoe, we passed by one of those settlements.

There was an old stockyard, fences made of wood and left fallen in a state of disrepair. We walked up to theOld settlement and observed a group of horses grazing.

The horses were not free to roam about, but they were not Contained inside theStock yards either. A few of them looked at us HitchHikers and then kept feeding.

One young horse in particular caught my eye and I caught his too.

He lifted his head a bit, seemed to nod and he knew that I was off somewhere and wouldn't be back at all, if not for a long long time.

I still remember theHorse.
And like those old Structures that stood and STILL stand there in SouthDakota.

he's been an icon of sorts to me. In my memory he stands grazing next to those old structures and they stand,

They remind us local residents of theOldTimes,
of theOldWays of life and how having such experiences in our lives sets helps anchor our souls for times when Life gets tough.

Because those old Structures that have stood for Decades agains theCold, Bitter North winds during each harsh SouthDakotan winter have done so often Alone.
And often an farm animal or two stands outside in theCold and endures.

They stood for years and became fixed in our minds, in my mind.
And in doing so, have transferred theCause, theResponsibility to us that need it theMost.

That day I walked by with JoeMoe, on the way to my Destiny.
I saw a part of my own life's experiences, and I saw a part of my own Eternal paths.

Later on after we had walked past those abandoned community structures an Mean looking Black colored muscle car rumbled by and stopped.

A big Native man, long haired and dark glasses gave us a lift to McLaughlin so that I could catch theBus on time.

And later on in theCrowds of LDS people I saw my own Mother,
for an local (in theLemmon church branch) church woman leader had brought her to see me off.

They probably left McIntosh after Joe & I were walking and weren't too far behind when we got picked up by that Black muscle car.

I'm glad that I had that LDS placement program experience.
Though being around White people was nothing new to me, being sent to another State and living with a new family and being around new Peers sure opened up my eyes that,

for the most part, theWhitePeople on theReservation weren't as nice as theWhites outside theReservation.

big difference, you could see it Even in the actions of white people that didn't really care at all about Natives!! so palpable and discernable was theDifference.

And once I visited my home community in SouthDakota and saw a few people of old that I once knew. Nothing had changed, they just got older, they still had same small minds and little experience. And yet a few other people had changed and grown much for the better.

I'm not the little skinny scared kid I used to be. Back then some great people honestly tried to help us Natives and I am one of those Natives that still clings to what he believes in.

I owe much, even my Life to a lot of White people whom helped me.
Whether they're part they played in my life was little or much, I owe them something.

And each day, by being a good person I help repay that debt.

I could walk away an ingrate. I could be overtly Racist against Whites and other peoples but I'm not. I could be Criminal but God saw fit to point my life in an Hard direction and He made something of me.

About 15 yrs later, just after my Church mission and before I was going into theMilitary. I dreamt of walking along an lonely highway and then I was suddenly going faster.

Once again I was back in SouthDakota and I was bareback upon an Black horse.
I was dressed, or "Undressed!!" as an old style Lakota Warrior would be,

as it were, they sometimes didn't wear much most of theYear.
And my hair was long.

theBlack horse and I, we ran east and ran and ran, never stopping.
So those horses I saw are long dead. But the memories remain and so much good came from those memories.

I don't know of any other Natives from South Dakota, or quite frankly, from any other place whom experienced theLDS placement program that will honestly blog or email anything of what they're Life was like and what experiences they had.

I met some Native missionaries when I served MY 2 yr mission, whom were also LDS placement students, but trying to get theMission Alumni from MY era to talk is like trying to get blood from a turnip.

One Native companion of mine sends an email once a year and I enjoy that very much. But I'm talking about being in steady contact with another Native student. It hasn't happened and probably never will happen.

Most of theLDS placement students I've known just settled into living comfortably and being happy with that which is good. But I mean, speak up and write!!

Blog and hit theForums on theNet. Speak up and be heard damn it.

Some family members even disapprove of my Writings.
And I disapprove of Timidity. I dislike Silence and I don't like being regarded as having no Voice.

I am a product of that Reservation in South Dakota.
I am one of theStates sons that she can be proud of.
I am one insignificant person and I am a success story despite my many failures in life.

Examin your own life, look at what Others did to help you when you were young and look Now at what You can do to Help theNextGeneration.

If you do this, you will stand clear and strong in theMinds of a few children and soon those children will be Adults.

I am Samuel L Flyinghorse, Hunkpapa Lakota, StandingRockSiouxTribe, SouthDakota.
whom are you?!
---------------------------------

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poop Moose Has Bottomed Out!!!

theSam!! vs YouTube!?

ELECTION DAY 2006